How to manage my emotions?
We humans are emotional beings. We experience various emotions daily. They may be positive emotions like happiness, pride, excitement or negative emotions like sadness, anxiety, fear, disgust, anger, shame. Its is normal to feel these emotions at various moments in our life.
The problem arises when we allow these emotions to become overwhelming and couse disturbances in our day-to-day life, affecting our relationships, work and academics. Therefore, it is important to be able to recognize that and learn to handle them well.
Below are a few tips to manage our emotions positively
1) Take a few deep breaths when you feel overwhelmed or lack of control on your emotions.
2) Identify the emotion. Be mindful of the exact emotion. Name the emotion you are feeling.
3) Understand what caused the emotion. Is that situation in your control or not. If it is, do something about it. If not, then choose to let go of the strong negative emotions caused by the situation.
4) We encounter various problems in our life. It's important to remember to focus on finding the solution rather than worrying about the problem.
5) Talk to friend or a family member about them. If it is not easy for you to talk to someone, write down your feelings in a journal. This gives you a sense of release and relief.
If the emotion is too strong and you are unable to deal with it independently, seek help from professional who can help you through it and cope better.